更新时间:作者:小小条
We built a community around this island, and I feel like our bonds are stronger.
我们在这个岛上建立了一个社区,我觉得我们的纽带更加紧密了。
For 550 kids in New York City, this is high school, where all of the typical stereotypes of a high school experience are met with career training courses that focus on the ocean that surrounds their home.

对于纽约市的550名学生来说,这便是他们的高中,这里所有的高中生活典型刻板印象都被以海洋为中心的职业培训课程所取代,而这些海洋正是他们家园的环绕。
I'll do some data, Zoe will do data for two different groups.
我来处理一些数据,佐伊将为两个不同的小组处理数据。
Alright?
好吗?
Sound good?
听起来不错吧?
Okay, let's head down.
好吧,我们走吧。
The goal of this school was to give opportunity to maritime education to those students who may have never been able to get that.
这所学校的宗旨是为那些原本可能无法获得海上教育机会的学生提供学*机会。
Harbor School was founded so that these city kids could, like, realize that they live in this, like, they're surrounded by beautiful nature, you know?
海港学校成立的目的,就是让这些城市里的孩子能够意识到,他们生活在一个美丽自然环绕的环境中,你知道的。
It's so many waterways that are important to how New York City became New York City.
这里有如此多重要的水道,它们对纽约市的形成起到了关键作用。
Students get hands-on experience in a range of maritime skills to prepare them for careers in everything from aquaculture to ocean engineering.
学生们通过实践掌握各种航海技能,为从事从水产养殖到海洋工程等领域的职业做好准备。
They get the chance to build and operate boats, designing submersibles, and even dive in and conduct real-life research.
他们有机会建造和操作船只,设计潜水器,甚至下水开展实地研究。
Today we're getting a look at the school's ongoing oyster restoration research program.
今天我们将了解该校持续进行的牡蛎恢复研究项目。
The school works hand-in-hand with a non-profit called the Billion Oyster Project.
该校与一个名为“十亿牡蛎计划”的非营利组织合作。
Its goal?
它的目标是什么?
Restore New York's once thriving oyster population.
恢复纽约昔日繁盛的牡蛎群落。
They're just telling me how many oysters are on their shell, and then they tell me whether it's alive or dead, and they measure shell height.
他们只是告诉我贝壳上有多少个牡蛎,然后告诉我它是活的还是死的,还会测量贝壳的高度。
It's like length from tip to tip.
就像从一端到另一端的长度一样。
The goal is to monitor, study, analyze a billion oysters or get a billion oysters in the water?
目标是监测、研究、分析十亿只牡蛎,还是让十亿只牡蛎进入水中?
The billion oysters project is to put a billion oysters back into New York Harbor.
一亿牡蛎计划旨在将十亿只牡蛎重新放归纽约港。
Wow.
哇哦
How do we know how close we are to this goal?
我们如何知道离这个目标还有多远?
By doing monitors just like this.
通过进行像这样的监测工作。
If a student wants to be involved in the maritime industry, then this school is able to provide the opportunities and the pathways for those students to get into those fields.
如果学生希望投身海事行业,这所学校就能为他们提供进入这些领域的机遇和途径。
It's sort of forming a oyster reef at this moment.
此刻,正在逐渐形成一片牡蛎礁。
Our goal is to get around a billion oysters in, and that should bring back native oyster populations that were killed off.
我们的目标是投放大约十亿只牡蛎,这应该能恢复那些曾被消灭的本地牡蛎种群。
just like a regular class.
就像普通班级一样。
They receive grades on assignments.
他们会在作业上获得成绩。
The assignments are more hands-on, but they are indeed typical school assignments that are graded.
这些作业更加注重实践,但确实是需要评分的典型学校作业。
They're called career and technical education classes, and they're part of a pathway for each of our state-approved programs.
它们被称为职业和技术教育课程,是我们每个经州批准的项目中的一个培养路径。
Last year, more than 90% of our students were accepted into four-year college programs.
去年,我们超过90%的学生被四年制大学录取。
A bunch of them that do want to study marine science, which is great from this program.
有不少学生希望学*海洋科学,这正是该课程的亮点所在。
I've had a lot of alumni who have gone on to study aquaculture specifically in marine science.
我有很多校友后来专门学*了水产养殖和海洋科学。
I have one who's teaching our oyster farming classes now in Maine, so that's exciting.
我现在在缅因州有一位老师正在教授我们的牡蛎养殖课程,这很令人兴奋。
That's very exciting.
那太令人兴奋了。
Yeah.
是的。
All right, can you pull that?
好了,你能拉一下吗?
Yeah, that's a little bit better.
是的,那样稍微好一点了。
All right.
好吧。
Harbor alumni Shayna Rajun Deanna Rine was so inspired by her aquaculture training, she went on to become a Billion Oyster Project employee.
哈伯学校校友谢娜·拉朱·迪安娜·莱恩在接受了水产养殖培训后深受启发,后来成为“十亿牡蛎计划”的员工。
Honestly, it's been one of the most beautiful blessings ever.
说实话,这可能是我生命中最美好的祝福之一。
I got to do this a little bit in our freshman field, which is where we get to experience a couple of all of the programs.
我曾在新生实地考察环节中做过一些,那里我们可以体验所有项目。
And once I did that in field, I was like, this is where I belong.
当我真正走进实地后,我心想,这里就是我该待的地方。
I belong with all of the oysters and the muck and the heavy lifting and all the data.
我属于所有牡蛎、淤泥、繁重的体力劳动以及所有的数据。
And you love this so much that you come back now to help.
你如此热爱这里,以至于现在又回来帮忙了。
What do you see when you look at these youngsters?
当你看着这些年轻人时,你看到了什么?
Honestly, it's really inspiring.
说实话,这真的令人鼓舞。
It's so full circle for me to, one, go through the program, graduate from the program, come back to take care of the space, and then now also get to come back and work with students and see them do the same thing.
对我来说,这真是一个完美的循环:首先,我完成了这个项目,从项目中毕业,然后回到这里照看这片空间;现在,我又可以回来和学生们一起工作,看到他们也经历同样的过程。
And also see that they're just as excited about it as I am.
而且看到他们和我一样对此充满热情。
It's not often that you see kids come in and be excited for school.
很少能看到孩子们兴高采烈地来上学。
Not at all.
一点也不。
And then here, they're like, oh, we have oysters today, or we're on the eco dock today, or this is what we get to do.
然后在这里,他们会说:“哦,今天我们有牡蛎,或者我们今天在生态码头,或者这就是我们今天要做的事。”
Let's get in it.
让我们开始吧。
What do you love most about coming out here?
你最喜欢来到这里的原因是什么?
Um I definitely like some kind of what I want to do for the rest of my life.
嗯,我肯定想做些我这辈子都想做的事。
What's your hope for people through the work that you all are doing here how it might impact I hope that people learn about how there are these kinds of jobs and activities you can do in New York, especially just an urban place that you can still save wildlife here by interacting with oysters.
你们在这里所做的工作,希望给人们带来怎样的影响呢?我希望人们能了解到,在纽约,尤其是在这样一个城市环境中,其实有许多这样的工作和活动可以开展,通过与牡蛎互动,依然能够保护野生动物。
For its students, the New York Harbor School offers a huge leap into their future.
对于学生而言,纽约港学校为他们开启了通向未来的巨大飞跃。
Well, I've known that I want to be a marine biologist since I was in the third grade.
嗯,从三年级起,我就知道自己想成为一名海洋生物学家。
So, one of my family friends, like, knew someone who went here.
所以,我一个亲戚朋友认识一个曾经在这里就读过的人。
They're like, oh, like, you should, you should check it out.
他们说:“哦,就像,你应该去看看。”
Like, it's a, it's a really cool school.
嗯,这是一所非常酷的学校。
What are you going to do when you graduate here?
你毕业后打算做什么?
I've applied to the United States Coast Guard Academy.
我已申请美国海岸警卫队学院。
and I'm hoping to get in there.
我希望能进去。
They got a little bit of a low acceptance rate, but I think I can do it.
他们的录取率有点低,但我认为我可以做到。
I'm in the honor society, so they're looking for like very prestigious people, very academically smart, and physically active people.
我是荣誉学会的成员,所以他们寻找的都是非常杰出、学术成绩优异且身体活跃的人。
I think if I can get in there, that's free college.
如果我能进去,那就是免费上大学了。
Dude, that sounds dreamy.
哥们,那听起来太棒了。
And then I have to serve for five years.
然后我必须服役五年。
That's my thing.
那是我的专长。
You got this, man.
加油,兄弟。
having the time of my life.
我正过得愉快呢。
Do you have any idea of what your dream job might be someday?
你有没有想过自己将来梦想的工作会是什么样子?
Yeah, I want to go into college and study aquaculture and then continue on that career path.
是的,我想上大学学*水产养殖,然后继续走这条职业道路。
Later on, I will go back to school, get my PhD, and become a veterinary nurse.
稍后,我会回到学校,获得博士学位,成为一名兽医护士。
Wow, that's amazing.
哇,太棒了。
The Harbor School is nestled on Governor's Island, about 800 yards south of Manhattan.
海港学校坐落于纽约市曼哈顿以南约730米的总督岛之上。
The former military base is now part public park, part cultural and educational hub.
前军事基地如今一部分是公共公园,一部分是文化与教育中心。
And this 172-acre island is only accessible by ferry, which means for these teens, their school bus looks like this.
这个172英亩的岛屿只能通过渡轮抵达,这意味着对于这些青少年来说,他们的校车看起来是这样的。
I feel like this school has a lot more diversity, especially because everybody's coming from all different areas.
我觉得这所学校有很多元化,尤其是因为每个人都是从不同的地方来的。
Like, you have people from Staten Island.
比如,有来自史泰登岛的人。
I'm in Brooklyn, so I'm used to Brooklyn, and that's where I went to school.
我在布鲁克林,所以对布鲁克林很熟悉,我也是在那里上学的。
And so the kids have a lot more chances to talk to many different people, make new friends.
因此,孩子们有了更多机会与不同的人交流,结交新朋友。
What's your hope for the program?
你对这个项目有什么期望?
The program?
节目?
Yeah, you look 10 years from now, 20 years from now.
是的,你看,十年后,二十年后。
the impact it might have?
它可能带来的影响是什么?
Um, I hope that it continues to draw people in because that's the best, best way to like genuinely get into this kind of thing is to like get dirty and fall in love with the earth that's around you.
嗯,我希望它能继续吸引人们参与进来,因为真正投入这类事情的最好方式,就是亲手去体验,弄脏双手,爱上你身边的大地。
So I hope that we just keep encouraging people to come out because that's, that's a good way to start.
所以我希望我们能继续鼓励人们前来,因为这是个不错的开始方式。
Give me a dirty high five.
来个脏兮兮的击掌。
Love it.
爱上它。
版权声明:本文转载于今日头条,版权归作者所有,如果侵权,请联系本站编辑删除