更新时间:作者:小小条
1. admire v. 钦佩,赞美,羡慕
(1) admire sb. for(doing) sth. 因(做)某事羡慕某人
(2) admiration n. 钦佩;赞美;羡慕 in admiration 赞赏地 (3) admirer n. 赞赏者;爱慕者;追求者 admiring adj. 赞赏的;羡慕的 admirable adj. 令人钦佩的;值得赞美的 |
Many people around the world admire China for its great contributions to the world peace.
世界各地的许多人钦佩中国为世界和平所做的巨大贡献。
I’d like to express my admiration for the courage of the wounded.
我对伤员们的勇敢表示钦佩。
These admirers admire the famous actor for his excellent performance which they enjoy in admiration, and to express their admiration for him, some of them even email him frequently.
这些爱慕者因为他出色的表演而钦佩这位著名的演员,他们带着钦佩之情欣赏他的出色表演。为了表达对他的钦佩之情,一些爱慕者甚至经常给他发邮件。
2. judge v. 认为,判断
(1) judge… from/ by… 从……来判断…… judge sb. to be 判断某人为…… as far as I can judge 据我判断;我认为 (2) judging by/ from 从……上看;根据……判断 (3) judgement n. 判断力;评价 |
As the saying goes, “We should never judge a person by his looks.”
常言道,“我们不能以貌取人。”
Judging from the look on her face, she might have failed the exam.
从她脸上的表情判断,她考试可能失败了。
judging from/ by 表示“从……上看,根据……判断”,用在句首时为一个独立成分,不受句子主语和时态的影响。
3. settle v. 和解,结束(争论)
(1) settle down 定居;平静下来;专心于 settle down to (doing) sth. 开始认真对待某事;静下心来做某事 settle in/ into 搬入;迁入(新居);适应(新工作) settle for 勉强接受,将就 (2) settlement n. 解决;处理;协议;定居点;殖民地 |
You will be very promising as long as you settle down to your work.
只要你安心工作,你会有前途的。
Before we settle down to discussing other things, I’ve a question to ask you.
在我们开始讨论别的事情之前,我有个问题要请教你。
4. obviously adv. 明显地,显而易见地
(教材 P43) “Obviously, when your older brother is doing it, you think it’s a cool thing to do,” says Jonny.
“显然,当你的哥哥参加铁人三项时,你会觉得这很酷。”乔尼说道。
obvious adj. 明显的,显而易见的 be obvious to… 对……很好理解 It is/ was obvious that… 很明显…… |
It is obvious that without the help of the whole society, there would be no new school today.
很明显,如果没有全社会的帮助就不会有今天的新学校。
It might be obvious to you, but it isn’t to me.
这对你来说很好理解,但对我来说不是。
5. despite prep. 尽管,虽然
(教材 P44) Despite arguments over “stupid things” now and then, Alistair agrees that having a brother is an advantage.
尽管偶尔会为一些“蠢事”争吵,阿利斯泰尔仍然觉得有个兄弟是种优势。
(1) in spite of 尽管,虽然 (2) in spite of/ despite the fact that…= although/ though+从句 不管……;尽管…… (3) regardless of 不管;不顾 |
In spite of her terrible illness, she works hard and succeeds in the scientific research field.
尽管她病得厉害,但是她还是勤奋工作并在科研领域取得了成功。
She went to Spain despite the fact that her doctor had told her to rest.
尽管医生告诉她应该休息,但她还是去了西班牙。
in spite of为介词词组,与despite及regardless of一样,其后可跟名词、动名词及其他短语,意义基本相同。但regardless of只有“不管,不顾”之意。though、although有“虽然,尽管”之意,但它们是连词,后面应接句子。另外,despite是较正式用语。
版权声明:本文转载于今日头条,版权归作者所有,如果侵权,请联系本站编辑删除